Monday, April 19, 2010

Top 10 Leafs Moments of the 2009-2010 Season

Alright, I know it's been a while since my last post. But I have been really busy and apologize. I also know it's been 9 days since the Leafs season ended, however it takes that long to figure out the top 10 Leafs moments in what has been an awful season. However I did manage to scrounge around and find 10 moments I felt were worthy of mention.

10.) The Complete Renovation of the Maple Leafs Roster:

This one is really quite straightforward. There is only one Leaf left from the Ferguson era and that is Tomas Kaberle, and odds are he will be gone as well. Burkie got rid of Stajan, Blake, Hagman (too bad though, I liked him), Stajan, Toskala, Mayers (more on these guys heading out later), Stempniak,and Ponikarovsky. I know we finished in 29th, but for the first time ever, the Leafs are doing a major rebuild, implosion, whatever you want to call it, of their roster.

9.) Christian Hanson's Career Night:



For the whole time Hanson was with the Leafs this season, I said he was not ready for the NHL yet and that he needs more time with the Marlies. However, against the Habs he was unstoppable for some reason. Do I think he's ready for the NHL now? No. Just a really good night. Hanson has great speed, but no finish, if he can consistently find the finish, he'll be ready for the NHL.

8.) Colton Orr's "3":



This "controversial" move by Colton Orr made me happy. I don't care what Don Cherry says, that was awesome. Colton Orr holding 3 fingers up to show how many fights he won against Matt Carkner. Why is this so awesome? Finally the Leafs have a guy that will get under the skin of the other team without being a douche like Sean Avery. Since Tie Domie left, the Leafs have had virtually no one (Belak was a good fighter but he was no Domi, Tucker was getting too old). Orr has filled the void of toughness and I love his number.

7.) Luke Schenn's Two Goal Night Against the Sens:



Luke Schenn is one of my favourite players. So when he scored two goals in the same game I was quite excited. Most people probably wouldn't include this in their top 10, but I am. Other than my biased opinion on Schenn, this game showed Schenn regain his confidence, and maybe a little flash of what's in store for us in future years.

6.) Gustavsson's MONSTER Save against the Ducks:



I remember literally jumping up off the couch when this save was made. And I proceeded to force my roommates to watch the replay of it and they were impressed...or feigned it to shut me up. But seriously, I love it when Joe Bowen goes nuts. Unfortunatly, we didn't see much of this Gustavsson until after the Leafs got Giguere (I guess Toskala is not a good teacher, who knew?) The Leafs recently extended his contract for 2 more years, hopefully we see more of that.

5.) Gustavsson's MONSTER Saves versus the Stars:



Apparently the Monster kicks ass against Western Conference teams...if only he was on the Leafs way back when the Leafs were actually in the Western conference! Seriously though, in the first half of the season we merely got flashes of brilliance of the Monster, but like I said before, after the Leafs got Giguere he has really come out and shown us what he can truly do.

4.) Giguere's Back-to-Back Shutouts:



I only have the one video because the 2nd shutout was the game versus the Sens which I have above in Schenn's 2-goal game. Let me tell you Burke looked like a genius after this trade. Of course, Giguere didn't play quite as well after the shutouts, but still better than Toskala and a great mentor for Jonas Gustavsson.

3.) The Wild Overtime Versus the Lightning:



This had to have been the most exciting overtime period I have ever seen. A great pass by Bozak and a great shot by a clearly exhausted Kessel lead to the goal in what had to have been the slowest 2-on-1 break in NHL history. I thoroughly enjoyed this one. And once again, Joe Bowen goes nuts!

2.) Tyler Bozak's First Career NHL Goal:



Wow...just...wow what a goal! He looked like a superstar with that goal, just...unbelievable. Since preseason I have liked Tyler Bozak, and when I saw that goal...well..it was another "jump out of your seat" type of play. Unbelievable.

An finally....1.) The Blockbuster Deals:



and...


I actually slept through this trade. I was notified when my sister repeatedly called me...I proceeded to jump up and down and shout "we got Dion Phaneuf!? Dion F***ing Phaneuf!?" Burke was able to unload a giant contract and a terrible goalie for a good goalie, as well as get rid of a bunch of (what I call) "floaters" for a great defenseman, and the next captain of the Toronto Maple Leafs.


Well that is the countdown. I probably missed something, but I also repressed most of the memories from this past season, so please don't think I'm an idiot. Thank you for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment