Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Now THAT'S What I Call Secondary Scoring!!!

Well,tomorrow is my last day in my JN 229 class. This blog was an assignment for that class. Overall, this has been an interesting experience. Sure only people I ask to read this blog have read it, and I'm sure maybe like 2 others have too. I do feel secluded due to the lack of comments and such, however, I have decided to continue on with this blog (I can almost hear the 2 people who actually read this thing cheer). It is something that i enjoy doing, I enjoy writing about the Leafs, and therefore I am continuing on.

Now with that out of the way, let's talk about last night's game! After losing 3-0 against the Sabres on Monday night, the Leafs got revenge, against the Montreal Canadiens (who are celebrating their 100th anniversary this Friday against Boston). The Leafs win it 3-0, getting their first shutout of the season. A fantastic start to their three-game road trip. Over the last 7 games, the Leafs have gotten 10 out of a possible 14 points. It is not all good news however, Jonas "the Monster" Gustavsson was sent to the hospital after the 1st period in last night's game. His heart rate was accelerated, and he began feeling the same way he did during the preseason when he had this issue. Coach Ron Wilson did not want to take any chances and told Joey MacDonald to take his spot.

Gustavsson stopped all 8 shots he faced in the first period, MacDonald stopped the remaining 18 shots in the 2nd and 3rd period, giving the Leafs their first shutout of the season. A couple of posts ago, I said the Leafs needed more secondary scoring. Well, last night they got it, from unlikely sources: the first goal was scored by Colton Orr who scored his first goal as a Leaf, and his first goal in 76 games, his last goal was December 10th, 2008. The second goal came from Jeff Finger from a harmless looking shot that was shot from the boards near the point, that was Finger's 2nd of the season; Finger was taking the spot of an injured Gunarsson .

I'm not sure if it's a result of last night's game, but the Montreal Canadiens traded Kyle Chipchura to the Ducks for a fourth-round pick in the 2011 NHL Entry Draft.

The next game for the Leafs is tomorrow night in Columbus @ 7:00pm on Leafs TV. The Leafs have never lost a game in regulation against the Blue Jackets.

No comments:

Post a Comment