Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Objective Like me?

Well, this blog comes fresh off the Leafs first win of the season! FINALLY! It only took until October 27th Eastern Standard Time, but they got it. Jonas Gustavsson was outstanding in the Leafs 6-3 victory over the team formally known as the Mighty Ducks. He made many saves, stopping 25 of 28 shots...most of which were incredible, including this one:




It's been so long since I heard Joe Bowen yell "HOLY MACKINAW" like that, and as always, it gave me shivers.

But now that this losing streak is over, there is something that I have noticed during the losing streak. The official Toronto Maple Leafs site is horribly biased. What a shocker right? But I mean..the Leafs are on a losing streak, and what are the articles on? The Leafs 3-on-3 tournament they had with each other. Great, that's some great insight. I DON'T CARE, what about the reality? What the Leafs bloggers want you to forget is how us fans are blowing our money to watch a horrible team continue to lose.

What about Ian White being the best Leaf so far . Fantastic, except there are 17 other crappy players on this team (not counting last night's game).

But they don't stop there: the Leafs were having fun at practice? Who cares? This is like the TML's version fo E! News "look who was grocery shopping, guess who was at the beach, look who got fat!" It's all trivial, it's a distraction from the distraction that hockey is!

Now, I believe mapleleafs.com needs a blogger more like me. I'm not the most objective guy out there, but I do give the point of view of the typical Leafs fan. I may not have the same insight, may not have access to the dressing room or the players for a one-on-one interview, but in the end, my checks are not signed by MLSE. I see myself as giving the fans view, and mapleleafs.com need more fan views.

Of course, the Leafs offer a blogsite for fans known as Leafspace . They allow fans like me to write blogs, and even have Vlogs (video blogs) and they host some of them on a weekly online show (and it's shown on Leafs TV if one has it). Again though, the Vlogs they show are not people criticizing the Leafs, but people who still have some hope. Don't get me wrong, hope is good, but at the same time, people need the realism. Just last night, during the pre-game show, they showed a Vlog from a Leafspace contributor. His Vlog: on his superstitions to make the Leafs win, which involve him sipping beer out of one of those little mini Stanley Cups you get in beer packs. Again though, the people involved on the Leafs news are focusing primarily on unnecessary little tidbits to distract us from the fact the Leafs are still only 1-7-1 and still in last place and still eight points out of the playoffs!

That's my rant for now, until next time.

Nicholas Porretta

No comments:

Post a Comment