Wednesday, September 30, 2009

The End of An Era: Mats Sundin Retires

Before I get started with my blog, I would like to comment on something stated in my JN 229 class. There are very important issues out there, I could have started a blog on the swine flu, the War in Iraq, the possible upcoming election...but why did I choose sports? I will admit, sports is a "distraction" from everything going on in the world, but that does not mean that people should not enjoy it.

I chose to write blogs about something I'm passionate about. Sure, there are terrible things going on out there in the world, and I do think those are important issues that we should be paying attention to, but I'm very passionate about the Leafs. Like I said, sports are a pleasant distraction from all the crap in the world, the best feeling is when you're having a crappy day, so you flip on the TV to catch the game, and your team wins. For those 2 and a half hours or so the game is on, your problems don't matter, and without those mild distractions, we'd all be angry and depressed all the time! My blogs are dedicated to those people.

That being said, it has come to my attention that former, Leafs captain Mats Sundin has announced retirement, so I would like to dedicate this blog to Sundin and his influence on myself as I Leafs fan.


When Mats Sundin was traded to the Leafs organization, it was about a month and a half before my 5th birthday. I can remember watching few games as a child...seeing as the Leafs were in the Western Conference, and a few of their games weren't on until 10:00...I couldn't watch too many as 10:00 was "past my bedtime" at that age.

As I grew older, many players came and left the Leafs organization, but Mats was always there. Mats became my favourite player. I can remember going to my first game at Maple Leaf Gardens, in 1998, later in that season they would move to the ACC. I can't remember who they were playing, but I can remember cheering for Sundin, and I can also remember that they won.

Every year the Leafs made the playoffs, you could depend on "Captain Clutch" to pull through when he needed. Remember that game against Carolina, 30 seconds left...and who pops it into the net to tie it up? Listening to that call by Bonesy (Joe Bowen, Leafs play-be-play commentator) today still gives me chills up my spine.

One of my favourite Sundin memories is "When Mats Sundin beat Daryl Sitler's Goals and Points record as a Leaf. I remember where I was when that happened...in the car on my way to Guelph from Brampton, listening to AM 640, with Dennis Beyak calling it "Mats Sundin is now the leader in points and goals!" The standing ovation by the crowd, and fellow Leafers, it was unbelievable...needless to say, I watched it on Youtube again and again.

When Sundin signed with Vancouver, it kind of broke my heart...I mean you saw it coming that he wouldn't be a Leaf again, but it still hurt a little. However, I had the pleasure of going to Mats' homecoming last year when the Leafs played Vancouver. I was part of that historical standing ovation, and I will never forget it. That is one memory I will keep with me for the rest of my life.

So today, as Mats Sundin hangs up his skates, I would like to thank him for all the memories he has given to me and the rest of us Leafs fans. My question to you though is, how will you remember Mats? Statisticly speaking, Mats was the greatest captain ever, but will his legacy be the same as Sitler's or Gilmour's in years to come? Will the Leafs hire him on to the front office? Will his number be honoured at the ACC? (His number won't be retired because the Toronto Maple Leafs organization has a strict criteria about retiring numbers, the player needs to have sustained an injury which ended his career while playing for the Leafs. Therefore the Leafs only have two numbers retired: Bill Barilko's #5 and "Ace" Bailey's #6). I know I will remember Sundin as having a huge influence on my Leafs fandom, and I remember him as a Leaf, not as a Canuck.

Further Reading/viewing:

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/Mats-Sundin-retires-allows-us-to-get-on-with-ou?urn=nhl,193065 - Sundin's Retirement

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8ZZU6-30Qo - Standing Ovation for Sundin at his "homecoming" (video)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyx55PNKEo0 - Sundin breaks Daryl Sitler's record (video)

No comments:

Post a Comment